Saturday, November 24, 2012

Writing Music

For some people, writing and music go hand in hand. I know several writers who have particular music they like to listen to when they write. That is not me!

I used to listen to classical music during my writing time. Then I realized that it was doing nothing for me. At best, I ignored it while I got in my groove and wrote. At worst, it distracted me from getting into my groove. (To be fair, when I'm having trouble getting into that groove, anything can distract me.) So I have nixed the classical playlists for my writing. I prefer to write in silence, now. No music, no TV. When I'm out in public, obviously I can't get silence, but background noise doesn't bother me. That's just white noise and easily blocked out. (Unless that couple at the table over is having a really intriguing conversation, which has happened from time to time, but some things are just worth missing a bit of writing time!)

So I don't listen to music while I write. But that doesn't mean I don't have writing music! There are a couple songs, in particular, that inspire me. My number one writing song is One Step At a Time by Jordin Sparks.


This song isn't about writing, of course. But it is about perseverance, believing in yourself, patience, and never giving up. If that isn't about writing, then I don't know what is!

I've been writing as long as I can remember. I wrote my first novel manuscript when I was 13. Sure, I didn't think I'd be a published author by 13. But by 25? Yes. Of course. I figured if you do anything for 12 years, you'd eventually succeed at it. Well, I was wrong. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. It means I have to keep going, one step at a time, and it will happen when it's supposed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment