Thursday, February 13, 2014

Writing is Rewriting...

...or so the saying goes.

I think that the consensus among writers is that editing sucks. Rewriting sucks. Polishing sucks. While there are certainly some frustrating aspects to it, I actually rather enjoy it. Covering clean printed pages with scribbles of brightly colored ink is almost cathartic. I can look at the edited pages and feel like I'm really doing something. Not to mention that it isn't nearly as long of a process. It took me about 13 months to write the first draft of novel 6! Two months of editing is right now looking completely doable. I'm still sticking with my end of April goal.

Of course, I'm still in the early sections of my manuscript. I know that it probably needs a lot more work towards the end, as some of the structural and plot difficulties come to a head. But for now, I'm still in the beginning, falling in love with my characters and my story all over again. Right now, I feel like this could be the real thing for me.

A typical page from my editing.

And maybe that's optimistic. Maybe I said that about my last one too (hint: I did). But that's okay! There's nothing wrong with believing in myself, and I'm going to keep on doing what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment