Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ego Depletion and The Act of Writing

Yesterday, I got off work at 7:30 AM. I rode my bike straight home, changed into workout clothes (I just got these new capris from Old Navy tall and I was so excited to try them out!), and busted out a grueling hourlong workout. Then I had to immediately shower and hop into my car to make it to brunch on time with my Geek Girls. The menu looked so freaking delicious, and I was starving, so I ended up ordering two different dishes. I was also the first one done eating, eek!

Strawberry rhubarb compote on pancakes, and shrimp cake eggs benedict! Yummmm.

Later, I boogied over to Starbucks to get some writing done. I am really serious about finishing my draft of novel 6 this month, so I needed to get a lot done. I ended up ordering one of my usual drinks (venti skinny caramel macchiato), but this time I got some whipped cream on top. As I slurped down the deliciousness, I was able to bang out over 1000 words and finish a scene that had been fighting me for days. I got a text message that some girls from work were going out for Thai, so I headed out with them. After I got home from that, I made a detour over to Moo Time Creamery, where I ordered a brownie doused in ice cream.

Soooo delicious, although I couldn't finish and this morning I have a tummy ache.

What was going on with me?? Why all the over-indulging?

Ego depletion, that's what. This is a pretty widely-accepted theory (although not unanimous) about how self control is somewhat like a muscle. Using it a lot fatigues it, making it harder to continue to use it! (Although frequent use of it also strengthens it.) So making good choices about doing my workout even though I was exhausted and it was early, and actually getting done a good chunk of writing that was giving me trouble ended up making it that much easier to make bad choices like whipped cream, extra pancakes, and a mouth-watering brownie!

Which isn't an excuse, of course, but no one is perfect all the time. I don't regret a thing! I'll just be a little more mindful today that finishing the scene I'm working on should be celebrated with a long walk on the beach and a mug of tea. =)

Five days left in July, five scenes left in novel 6...I've got some work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment